Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sleeping Too Long?

Ok, so I am not sure, since this is my first time being a mommy, should I be worried that Alexander slept 11.5 hours last night? Please, don't feel the need to sock me a good one:) I am just not sure if long stretches of sleep like this, on occasion, are normal or if this means impending illness, growth etc... I am just not sure. Yesterday, he hardly napped and every time I tried to put him down, he screamed. So, I was just figuring that he would be overtired and not sleep well during the night.
This whole sleep/nap thing has got me confused. Every book says that by now, he should have scheduled naps but how do you do this? I have the morning nap pretty much scheduled (varies 1/2 hour each way) but the afternoon is tricky. He usually falls asleep when he is tired but lately it seems as though he is playing games with me. He will fall asleep in my arms but the moment I put him down, he begins to scream. Anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Ok, its so hard but let him cry it out for a couple of days and soon that bit where he cries when you lay him down will stop. Its tough to let them cry it out but it really pays off. Also, they will fall into their own nap schedule. I know the books say to schedule them but I could never make my kids sleep when they weren't tired. It doesn't take long for them to fall into their own routine. and finally, he probably just slept that long because he was exhausted and I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he starts doing that all the time talk to the doctor about it or just consider yourself lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with steph! Let them cry, and the routine will come quickly. Really it is the best decision I ever made for Caden (and especailly myself) Also, Caden sleeps 11+ hours everynight been doing that since he was about 3 months old. Consider yourself lucky! Growing boy!

    ReplyDelete